Here we go, yet, again! Now then, our list is a dynamic one, subject to change; although most of our opinions are pretty closely matched, there are one or two places that certainly divide our opinion a little. To be honest, this list has been a reyt royal one to do, based on a few texts and stuff but the last one annual appraisal bagged 10000 views! We cogitated and contemplated ish upon beer quality and selection firstly, and then the pub itself and service provided. Our scoring system is not set in stone because those three selection criteria can vary in importance so we have additional points available for whatever takes our fancy:-
1. Shakespeares- Retains top spot. Many great events, consistent quality ale at Sheff-friendly prices with enthusiastic, expert leadership. A butty for < £1. Close but winner by a head or so. Cheers!!
2. Rutland Arms (Up 1! )- amazing beer (and food!) and inventive events aplenty. Super soild leadership and staff much-improved. On the up, still.
>>> Top 2 so close regarding beer. Service strong at both now. Mebbe investment into pub next....
3. The Bar Stewards (NEW!) - it took us a while to warm to this place but we`d now call it as the city`s finest micro-pub. Small in stature but punches well above its weight now under the esteemed daily leadership of Jase Kerr.
4. The Beer Engine - a great spot for the discerning drinker. Now added fire power with even more keg lines! Quality. And food, and still below the radar of many visitors.
5. The Wellington (NEW!) - THE transformation on Shalesmoor! Beautiful considered refurb with plenty of tasty beer, always including Neepsend`s newest offerings and a back bar. Great work.
6. The Sheaf View (DOWN 1) - Super reliable. The pub for all people in all seasons. Dan`s local.
7. The White Lion (DOWN 1) - Beautiful boozer offering a reyt ale experience. Cornerstone of the `vegan quarter` with proper pizza next door and other offerings so close too!
|Green with envy!?|
8. The Beer House (DOWN 1) - a lovely place to refuel after a stroll on Eccy Road or a play in Endcliffe Park..
9. The Broadfield - always attentive staff, lush interior and another strong year on the beer front. Truly TN`s best boozer, although Waggon deserves a mention too! Both have beer AND food!
10. Brewdog (NEW!) - been lurking for a good while but 2018 has been a decent one on Div Street to say the least. A big step up with the top takeovers and Tramlines at Brewdog was INSANE. Bossman Matt must be mega proud!
(NEW! = New place in our top 10.) 2015 list HERE
So, two of the Birkett portfolio in our selection but none from Thornbridge again this time. Most intriguing will be the Kelham Island Tavern - a few barbs aimed at 2BGs in the past but new custodians and so we look forward to seeing the KIT in it`s 21st century guise. Also the usual footnote that we tend to drink in South West Sheff plus the city centre with occasional wander to the Kelham Island area so there are a few contenders that we rarely visit TBH. Shout up and we`ll endeavour to visit soon!
That is all. Peace. Mike `n` Danny x