1. Shakespeares (UP 1!) - Reclaims its spot at the top. Great events, consistent quality ale at Sheff-friendly prices and strong new leadership now established. Well done all!
|best value beer AND food!|
2= The Devonshire Cat (UP 8!) & Rutland Arms (New in Top 10)! - Both MASSIVELY improved with amazing beer (and food!) and some inventive events (Black Friday, DinoSour, etc.). Both are also similar in that the interiors are real opinion dividers and the quality of service can vary vastly.
4. The Beer Engine (DOWN 3) - Not as consistent as some for ale quality (staff changes?) but still a great spot for the discerning drinker. We love it.
5. The Sheaf View (DOWN 1) - Super reliable. The pub for all people in all seasons.
6. The White Lion (DOWN 1) - Beautiful boozer now featuring the country`s best management team, Jon and Mandy. Fact.
|Punching above its weight?!|
8. The Wellington (NEW!) - what a transformation on Shalesmoor! Beautiful considered refurb with plenty of tasty beer, always including Neepsend`s newest offerings. Great work.
9. The Broadfield (NEW!) - returns to our favourite ten on the back off the always attentive staff, lush interior and a strong year on the beer front. Truly TN`s best boozer.
10. The Old Workshop (NEW!) - what an outstanding addition to our city`s drinking scene Great to see Jason Kerr given his wings here and the future looks bright. Think quality keg, neat nibbles and a tune or two in uber stylish surroundings.
(NEW! = New place in our top 10.) 2015 list HERE
So, two of the Birkett portfolio in our selection but none from Thornbridge this time. For what it`s worth, we reckon that there are a lot of lurkers, pubs very close to being outstanding, and there a clutch of newcomers like Guzzle, Ale Club, PUBLIC, etc that are certainly ones to watch. Also the usual footnote that we tend to drink in South West Sheff plus the city centre with occasional wander to the Kelham Island area so there are a few contenders that we rarely visit TBH. Shout up and we`ll endeavour to visit soon!
NB - As per 2015 & 2016, especial mentions to Dronfield`s double diamonds - The Coach & Horses and the Dronfield Arms. Both would have maybe been top 10 if not for their cross-border location. That is all. Peace. Mike `n` Danny x
For our ALT AWARDS HERE!
BREWERY OF 2017 HERE!