Tuesday 8 January 2013

Thornbridge Mocha Porter - Barrel Aged With Chillies

Thornbridge Mocha Porter Barrel Aged with Chillies 6% ABV


A bit of a rarity for our first post. There's apparently only 4 barrels of this stuff in existence. It's a bit different and has one hell of a kick to it. It's basically Thorny Goat that's been aged with chilli. Thorny Goat is probably one of my favourite Thornbridge beers and this stuff takes it to a whole new level.  Here is the description taken from the Thornbridge website

"Thorny Goat, pre chocolate and sugar has been barrel aged with Chillies to create the perfect antidote for a chilly night"! 

Like all the best Thornbridge beers its nice and strong at 6% ABV. You can't really taste the coffee or the chocolate as the chilli kind of takes over. It's not the type of beer you chuck down your throat as the spiciness is so prevalent. There's a knack to drinking it though and once you've found it, it becomes rather pleasurable indeed. It's makes your lips tingle and your insides warm. Hats off to Thornbridge for trying something different. It's on the bar now at The Cross Scythes on Derbyshire Lane at a reasonable £3.50 a pint. 
*Edit - Mike's Comments;
And it's a 7 from me. Once I'd got past the initial back of the throat kick and worked out how to drink it, I liked it. Couldn't really manage a pint but a leisurely half was just the ticket, especially when cleansed with a citrussy dessert in the form of Halcyon. I do want another bite at this chilli cherry though as I might be a little harsh with a safe 7! 
Danny's Rating - 8/10
Mike's Rating - 7/10

1 comment:

  1. And it's a 7 from me. Once I'd got past the initial back of the throat kick and worked out how to drink it, I liked it. Couldn't really manage a pint but a leisurely half was just the ticket, especially when cleansed with a citrussy dessert in the form of Halcyon. I domwant another bite at this chilli cherry though as I might be a little harsh with a safe 7!

    ReplyDelete