Friday 14 June 2013

The Broadfield - Yorkshire Pub of the Year?


Now then, in a time of Pub Co.s strangling the life out of local boozers, Sheffield is fortunate enough to have several that have recently reopened looking fresh and being successful. The `Broady` was made-over, completely, less than 2 years ago and has not looked back. Part of The Forum group, it has been nominated as the county`s best pub by the public / Welcome to Yorkshire tourist board.

When I visited this week (for the first time in a while) I was pleased with the range of ales on offer. I plumped for an Abbeydale Deception to start with whilst I pondered my way forward. Also I knew it would be a good test to see how well the ale was kept, and it was ok. I then opted for their thirds tasting tray, seeing as it was not too busy to trouble the lone barman. My trio was Black Iris Black Mountain IPA (5.9%), True North`s First Red (4.8%) and On The Edge`s Peat Stout. Not sure of the ABV of the latter but it was my pick with a much fuller taste than the others. On The Edge are a small - mini - microbrewery that launched last year (we went to the opening do at Sharrow School)and are local to the pub, based in Nether Edge, I believe. A really good pint, or third in this case!

There was still a selection to go at but I had to finish with Summer Wine`s Barista Espresso Stout (4.8%) which was on keg; a strong coffee for the road. Yum!

In summary, The Broadfield does it all. It welcomes an eclectic mix of folk (including those that have small creatures with them), the pub is really nicely set out inside (my favourite is the light fitting in the shape of an old Sheffield rail map) and the food is incredibly popular (do book ahead!). It is a real local success and I hope it does well in the voting. Give it a try!

1 comment:

  1. One of our favourites too! Always great for beer, and the whisky tastings are exceptional.

    ReplyDelete