Wednesday 3 April 2013

Thornbridge Baize Chocolate Mint Stout 5.5% ABV







Developed by the staff at Hallamshire House this new beer from Thornbridge was one I was looking forward to. I've sampled many a chocolate beer over the years and although it may not be my favorite style of ale when it is done right the results can be delicious. This is the first time I've heard of a chocolate mint beer before so like all new beers I was keen to sample it.
As always Tom at The Cross Scythes wasted absolutely no time in getting it on the bar. Now I'm not usually one to drink halves but something told me to opt for the smaller option this time and I must say I'm glad I did. We like to stay away from negativity here at twobeergeeks but I have to say this isn't a beer that suited my palate. Chocolate and mint may go together with ice cream or sweets but in my opinion its not a flavour combination that works well with beer. It's a nice idea in theory but I'm afraid it's a low score from me.
 Meanwhile, I really enjoyed supping this strange brew. Sure, it does taste like a load of After Eights chucked into some decent stout, but then I like the Choc / Mint combo. It is pretty much the only type of ice cream I like so what`s not to like about a (mint) creamy dark ale. Thornbridge genius, in my opinion. You HAVE to try and decide!
Danny's Score - 3/10
Mike Score - 8/10

I`m just glad that we tasted this beer seperately. We often differ in our opinions of darker ales but this could`ve resulted in fisticuffs and neither of us wants to be barred from The Cross Scythes !


1 comment:

  1. We like it very much and drink it at the bath hotel Sheffield. Our favourite thornbridge brew. Helen and stuart

    ReplyDelete